Back to Top
Equipment Management


Click Here: Equipment Management Bulletin


Equipment Management

All property at the University of Illinois System, regardless of funding source, to which the U of I System acquires title is subject to the regulations of the Illinois Department of Central Management Services as "State-owned property."

The custodianship of property purchased by or assigned to a unit is the responsibility of the unit head. The unit works with University Property Accounting and Reporting (UPAR) to ensure compliance with University procedures and the State Property Control Act. All employees have the responsibility for the prudent use, care and safeguarding of system property, regardless of its value.

System Equipment for system Purposes Only - No one connected with the system in any capacity may use any system property for personal purposes.

Defining Equipment

An item is considered equipment if it meets all of the following criteria:

  • It is tangible property which lasts more than one year.
  • It costs more than $100.
  • It keeps its own identity; that is, it is not absorbed into another piece of equipment.
  • It is movable; it cannot be permanently fixed or attached to a building.

While equipment valued at less than $2,500 is not recorded in Banner Fixed Assets, items of equipment should not be considered expendable based solely on the recorded value.
All U of I System equipment is identified with either a "Property of the State of Illinois…" label or equipment items recorded in Banner Fixed Assets have labels with "University of Illinois, State of Illinois" and the assigned PTag printed on them.

Unit Assigned Equipment Management Roles 

Each unit must assign individuals to serve as a FABweb Unit Rep, FABweb Approver, Biennial Unit Contact, and Biennial Unit Head. For detailed information about the FABweb Unit Rep and Biennial Unit Contact's responsibilities, consult OBFS Policies and Procedures Manual, 12.2.2 Unit FABweb and Biennial Roles and Responsibilities. Contact your Unit Security Contact (USC) to update these unit assigned roles for FABweb or Biennial Inventory.

 A current listing of Biennial Unit Contacts can be found under the "Helpful Documents" on this webpage in the document "Department Property Contacts Chart".

Insurance of Equipment

See 6.4.2 Insure Equipment and/or Building Contents

Personal Property on System Premises - The system assumes no responsibility for any loss, theft, or damage to an employee's personal property brought onto system premises, or system-leased premises, even if the property is brought to the system to be used in connection with the employee's work. The system carries no insurance to cover any of these losses.


Please contact University Property Accounting and Reporting (UPAR) at

Last Updated: April 30, 2020

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback