Back to Top
Payroll & Benefits

Payroll & Earnings Frequently Asked Questions

John Marshall Law School

Tax Information: Forms W-2 / 1042-S / 1095-C

Q: What do I do if I have not received my tax form in the mail by the first week in February?

A: Your tax form was mailed to the mailing address listed on your My Profile in My UI Info as of December 31st. If you did not have an active mailing address, the form was sent to the home/permanent address listed on that form. If your tax form did not arrive at either of those addresses, you can obtain a duplicate through the Form W-2 Reissue Process.

Q: How do I request a duplicate tax form for the current tax year?

A: If you do not receive your Form W-2, Form 1042-S, or Form 1095-C or if you need to replace a lost or misplaced form, you may obtain a duplicate in one of two ways: 

  1. Call your local UPB Customer Service office at UIC 312-996-7200, UIUC 217-265-6363, UIS 217-206-7144 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Central Standard Time), Monday through Friday. If you call after hours, you can leave a message on the voicemail system. Messages will be retrieved and processed the next business day. 

    Provide your Social Security Number, password (birth date), mailing address, and a contact phone number in case the duplicate is returned to the university. If an address change is required, a representative of UPB Customer Service will change the address on the form and send the reissue to the correct address. The requested form will be mailed the next business day. NOTE: This change of address will only be reflected on the reissued form. To permanently change your address for future mailings, you would need to make that change through My UI Info. See the Employee Address Change page for instructions on how to change your permanent mailing address in My UI Info.


  2. Access a duplicate Form W-2, 1042-S, and 1095-C electronically through System HR website, even if you have not consented to receive your original Form W-2, 1042-S, or 1095-C electronically.

Q: How do I request a duplicate tax form for a previous tax year?

A: If you need to request a duplicate of Form W-2, Form 1042-S, or Form 1095-C for a prior tax year you will need to do the following: 

  1. Fill out the Request for Duplicate Tax Form (W-2, 1042-S, or 1095-C).

  2. Submit the completed form to the University Payroll Service Center (mailing addresses for Chicago, Springfield and Urbana-Champaign campuses are included on the form). Allow five business days to process your request.

Q: What do I do if my SSN is incorrect on my Form W-2 or Form 1042-S?

A: Do not process your tax return. Please contact the Payroll Customer Service Center to request a Form W-2c (corrected Form W-2) providing your correct SSN. You will be asked to present your original SSN and a photocopy in order for us to proceed with the corrections. Your reissue request will get processed and mailed within two weeks.

Q: Who do I contact with questions regarding my wages and withholdings?

A: Please call University Payroll & Benefits at:

  • UIUC: 217-265-6363

  • UIC: 312-996-7200 (Phone Number requires dialing all 10-digits)

  • UIS: 217-206-7144

or review your earnings statements in the System HR website.

Adjustment Notification Application (ANA)

Q: I am a Department Originator in SCT Workflow. Do I have to request access to ANA?

A: No, the security permissions for SCT Workflow and ANA are the same.

Q: I am a Department Approver. Can I initiate and approve an adjustment?

A: No. Just as with SCT Workflow, only Department Originators can initiate adjustments. However, if your role is both Department Originator and Department Approver, you can initiate and approve ANA adjustments.

Q: What should we do when there is a field in ANA that we do not understand?

A: Fill in the Comments field with as much detail as is needed to explain your request before approving or submitting it. However, information must be entered into any field marked with an asterisk (*).

Q: Are all of the adjustment type selections available?

A: No, separation, leave and benefit payment transactions are not available as of the date of this document. There will be announcements as to when these adjustments will be available in production. When you need to request these types of transactions, send your request in an email message to Payroll Inquiry (

Q: What are the Activity statuses of adjustment items that I may see in my ANA Work List?

A: If you are a Department Originator, your adjustment items may show a status of Correction, Not Approved or Completed . If you are a Department Approver, your adjustment items will show a status of Dept Approval only. (Remember that if you have both roles, you may see all Activity statuses.)

Q: When are email notifications sent?

A: Department Originators receive email notifications when items are returned to them for rework or if they are rejected. Department Approvers receive email notifications when items are submitted to them for approval from the Department Originator.

Q: Are the earnings codes available in ANA the same as in Banner's PHATIME?

A: Yes.

Q: Are the earnings codes shown for an employee in ANA based on his/her e-class?

A: No, all available earnings codes are shown.

Q: How can I pay an employee in ANA using another FOAPAL?

A: Use the Comments field to explain the situation including the FOAPAL to be used.

Q: As a Department Approver, I have determined that an adjustment request is not necessary. Will ANA keep a permanent record if I reject it?

A: No. History is not kept on an ANA adjustment item until it is approved by the Department Approver. This action sends the item to Payroll or to Human Resources (based on the transaction) and then a historical file entry is created. However, the rejected item will be returned to the Department Originator's Work List with a status of Not Approved . The Department Originator must delete the item to remove it from his/her Work List.

Tuition & Fee Waivers

Q: How can I determine the tuition waiver impact on my net pay?

A: Monthly and Bi-weekly Tuition Benefit Net Pay Calculators are available to employees on the OBFS website to assist in determining the effect of the withholding on their pay. The calculators are located at on the right side of the page.

Q: Is the $5250 exclusion applied each semester?

A: No, the $5250 exclusion allowed by the IRS is based on the calendar year not by semester. Once an individual reaches the $5250 limit at any point in the year, the dollar value all graduate level educational benefits received thereafter become taxable income and will be assessed during the applicable tuition waiver assessment period.

Q: Can I adjust the number of withholding allowances I currently claim on my W-4?

A: Individuals may change their Form W-4 via W-4 Withholding to adjust their withholding.*

*This statement is provided for information purposes only and is not intended to constitute individual tax advice. Employees and students should consult with their individual tax advisor to assist with calculating their withholdings.

Q: Will I receive a zero net paycheck because of the change in tax withholding methods?

A: Possibly, however testing conducted during Fall 2011 indicated a decrease in the expected number of GA/PGAs that would receive pay checks resulting in a net pay of zero dollars. The impact of the graduated rate taxation method for Graduate Assistants (GA) and Pre-Professional Graduate Assistants (PGA) may result in decreased withholding for federal taxes.

Some individuals in higher income brackets may experience an increase in federal withholding with the move to the graduated rates. In general, GA/PGAs are not found in this population of individuals.

Q: Am I responsible for tax withholdings that cannot be collected in entirety from my paycheck due to a zero net?

A: When an individual does not have enough compensation to satisfy the tax withholding obligations required by law, the taxes that cannot be collected in entirety are considered to be in arrears. University Payroll & Benefits will track and continue to pursue the collection of taxes owed on subsequent pay checks the individuals receive for the calendar year. If the amount of taxes in arrears cannot by collected by the end of the calendar year, the University is required by law to pay the remaining taxes owed on behalf of the individual. This amount paid by the University is a taxable fringe benefit and included as taxable income on the individual's Form W-2 Wage & Tax Statement.

Q: When can I expect to see the impact of the graduated rate taxation associated with my Tuition waiver?

A: The assessment period of tuition waiver tax withholding for calendar year 2012 is as follows:

Spring semester

     1st tuition waiver run:   March and April
     Spring adjustment run: May

Summer semester

     Tuition waiver run:  July and August

Fall semester

     1st tuition waiver run:   October and November
     Fall adjustment run:     December

Q: If there is an adjustment to the taxable amount of my tuition waiver, when can I expect to see the correction?

A: All corrections will be processed on the next regularly scheduled tuition waiver assessment period. Any approved exceptions for adjustments outside the normal tuition waiver process will be applied on the next regular payroll cycle.

Example A:
Student A is assessed a taxable tuition waiver amount in March and April (during the first tuition waiver run for spring semester). On April 4, a full credit of the tuition waiver amount is applied by Financial Aid as a result of all courses being dropped. The tuition waiver credit posted will be processed on the spring adjustment run. All withheld taxes associated with the waiver in March and April will be refunded and appear on the May pay check.

Example B:
Student A is assessed a taxable tuition waiver amount in March (during the first tuition waiver run for spring semester). On March 16th, it is discovered and reported to UPB that the student is a Research Assistant so the waiver should never have been assessed. All withheld taxes associated with the waiver in March will be reviewed and, upon approval will be refunded and appear on the April pay check

Payroll Deductions for Parking Benefits

Q: What is changing?

A: Post-tax parking benefits will be changed to pre-tax benefits starting January 2020. As a result, employees paying for these benefits with payroll deduction will see a decrease in taxes withheld from their paychecks.

Q: Which parking benefits are impacted by this change?

A: All post-tax parking benefits offered by the University of Illinois System and paid via payroll deduction are impacted by this change.

Q: Why is the tax treatment changing?

A: The changes are associated with a provision of the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 passed by Congress on December 20, 2019.

Q: How can I determine the amount I’m currently paying for parking benefits?

A: All payroll deductions, including parking benefits paid via payroll deduction, are summarized on your earnings statement accessible here.

Q: Will my paycheck be affected by this change?

A: Those employees currently receiving post-tax parking benefits using payroll deduction may see a reduction in tax withholdings starting in January 2020 because of the change in parking tax status.

Q: Will this change affect my 2019 individual income taxes?

A: This change has no impact on your 2019 individual income tax liability.

Last Updated: January 27, 2020

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback