Government Costing is performed at the Office of Business and Financial Services for each university. The Office of Government Costing at Urbana-Champaign is a unit of the UIUC Assistant Vice President of Business & Finance and supports both the Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) and Springfield (UIS) universities in the calculation and negotiation of rates applicable to sponsored projects. At the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC), Government Costing is supported within the Office of Grants and Contracts. UIC indirect cost rate agreement covers the Chicago, Rockford, and Peoria universities, and the Division of Specialized Care for Children. University costing policy and procedure is developed to meet university, state and federal requirements while meeting customer needs.
Primary Government Costing Responsibilities
- Facilities & Administrative Rate Development, Audit, and Negotiation
- Tuition Remission Rate Development, Audit, and Negotiation
- Fringe Benefit Rate Development, Audit, and Negotiation
- Service Activity Rate Reviews, Calculations, Training, and Monitoring*
- Cost Accounting Standards Board Disclosure Statement (DS-2)
- Higher Education Research & Development Survey (HERD)**
- Various UIC, UIS and UIUC Costing Policies
- University Liaison for Major Costing Initiatives (steering committee, etc.)
The work of these offices is heavily regulated and scrutinized by various auditing entities, including the Department of Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA), Federal Offices of Inspector Generals, and as part of the University Single A-133 Audit. Proper costing avoids heavy federal audit penalties and positively impacts the working relationship of this university with our federal partners.
*Applies only to UIUC at this time.
**Currently the UIC HERD is completed by the UIC Office of Grants & Contracts, not their Government Costing section.
Last Updated: October 7, 2016