Back to Top
Business Travel


Employees must always request the lowest available rate when making hotel reservations. Before making a reservation, check the list of allowable rates to be sure the cost meets these requirements. For additional information about University of Illinois System policies on lodging and travel, see OBFS Policies and Procedures Manual, 15 Travel.

Please Note: Employees and guests must present a personal credit card at check-in to pay for any personal charges they might incur. Personal charges are not allowed on the TCard.

The system offers employees several ways to obtain discounted hotel rates. Detailed information can be found using the links below:

National Hotel Chains

Many National Hotel Chains extend discounted rates to State and/or System employees. Links to hotel chain websites, discount codes where applicable and toll-free phone numbers are provided. Please note, the State Rate discount only applies at hotels in the State of Illinois. All discounts vary based on location, dates, and availability.

Lodging Rental Brokers

Use of a lodging rental broker (e.g. Airbnb, Tripping, Home Away) is allowed as a travel expense as long as the daily rate does not exceed the University of Illinois System’s Lodging Allowance Rates.

Rent and damage deposits may initially be made with the TCard. However, departments must manage the credit of damage deposits back to the TCard. Damage charges are personal expenses and must be paid by the traveler, using non-system funds.

Damage deposits will not be reimbursed if personal funds are used to secure the lodging.

Use of a property through a lodging rental broker known to be owned by a system employee or his/her immediate family member is prohibited.

Group Sales Agreements

Group Sales Agreements must be attached to a requisition and submitted to Purchasing for processing. The Purchasing Division has the authority to facilitate the purchase of equipment, materials, commodities, supplies, and services. No other individual or campus department has authority to commit the system to purchasing goods and services, unless that authority has been specifically delegated to them. For more information, visit the Purchases section of the OBFS website.

Last Updated: February 11, 2022

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback