Back to Top
Business Travel

Travel Advances

Travel advances may only be issued to employees (including student employees) for domestic travel of 7 or more consecutive days, international travel, or for group travel when detailed information on how the advance will be spent is provided. Advances are provided only for expenses that cannot be charged on a University Travel Card (T-Card).

Traveler Responsibilities

Travelers are responsible for all travel advances.

  • Employees are limited to one travel advance at a time.
  • Travel advance funds may only be used for travel expenses.
  • Payee is personally responsible for the safe keeping and repayment of the advance.
  • Lost or stolen advances cannot be replaced using any type of University fund.
  • Travel advances must be closed, accounted for, and/or repaid promptly upon completion of the travel, preferably within 15 days.
  • Travel advances not completed within 60 days of travel may be reported as taxable income in accordance with IRS regulations.
  • Advances not closed within 90 days may be deducted from the employee's wages.
  • For information about using a bank account in a foreign country, consult OBFS Policies and Procedures Manual, 14.4 Manage Foreign Bank Accounts.

Request and Repay Travel Advances

To Open a Travel Advance:

Follow the steps outlined on OBFS Policies and Procedures Manual, 15.1.1 Open a Travel Advance page.

To Close a Travel Advance:

Follow the steps outlined on OBFS Policies and Procedures Manual, 15.1.2 Close a Travel Advance page.

For a detailed step-by-step job aid on how to Open/Close a Travel Advance in TEM go to the TEM Resource Page under section Employee Reimbursements and Payments to Vendors, + Travel and Miscellaneous Reimbursements.

Last Updated: October 12, 2015

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback