Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

6.3.2 Report a Claim for Personal Injury

Policy Statement

If you become aware of an incident where someone was injured, assess the situation and contact appropriate authorities as needed. Do not make any promises or financial commitments for the University of Illinois System. Units are not authorized to settle claims for personal injuries.


To report a claim for personal injury:

System Employee - A System employee may be eligible for Worker's Compensation. The Office of Claims Management at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign investigates and manages all workers' compensation claims for the System. Consult their website for additional information.
Non-System Employee - Have the injured party complete and submit a Public Injury/Property Damage form. The Office of Claims Management at Urbana-Champaign investigates and manages all public claims for the universities at Urbana-Champaign and Springfield. The claims manager at University Counsel investigates all public claims for the university at Chicago.
The Public Injury/Property Damage Report form is not an admission of fault by the System. It is a means of gathering information regarding the injury.
  1. Determine who was injured.
  2. Work with your university Claims Management Office.
  3. Your university Claims Management office reviews the claim.

Proof of loss forms, including those concerning personal injury, where the system agrees to release an indemnifying company for a settlement of the system's claim, are signed by the Comptroller or delegate.

Forms Used in this Procedure

Public Injury Report:

Additional Resources

Worker's Compensation
Office of University Counsel
Office of Risk Management

Last Updated: April 11, 2022 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance - November 2010

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback