Sponsored Project Equipment
Arrangements for the furnishing or loaning of equipment to be used for sponsored programs are administered by the OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office, in collaboration with the unit and the OBFS, University Property Accounting and Reporting.
Equipment as State property - Upon transfer of ownership of the equipment from the sponsor to the University, the OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office will notify the OBFS, University Property Accounting and Reporting of the transfer and provide information necessary to add the equipment record to Banner Fixed Asset. The OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office will also notify the unit to remove or obliterate the sponsoring agency's property control tag.
Identity of equipment - Equipment that is titled to an outside agency may not become a fixture or lose its identity or personality by incorporation into or attachment to property not owned by the same outside agency.
Loans of Sponsored Project Equipment - Under certain circumstances, equipment acquired with sponsored project funds may be loaned to other institutions of higher education for continuation of the sponsored research using the Sponsored Equipment Loan Agreement (MS Word). Contact the appropriate campus OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office to initiate this process. For UIUC units, see Section 16.1.4, Equipment, Equipment Leases, and Expendable Supplies of the Business and Financial Policies and Procedures manual for specific requirements.
Periodic verification - Equipment that is held under agreements with sponsoring agencies or is on loan from outside agencies is included in the monthly and annual reports received by units and is verified under the same procedures as is State-owned equipment.
Property tags - The OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office furnishes to units numbered property control tags distinct from State-owned property tags, for all sponsor-titled equipment. This includes equipment purchased from sponsored research funds when the title to the equipment remains with the sponsor and for equipment on loan to the University from outside agencies.
Records of furnished or loaned equipment - Property records for movable equipment furnished or loaned to the University for use on a research project or for other purposes are kept in Banner Fixed Asset. The records identify the equipment as non-State titled property.
Records of purchased equipment - Property records for movable equipment purchased where the funding agreement stipulates that the title remain with the sponsoring agency are recorded in Banner Fixed Asset. The records identify the equipment as non-State titled property.
Transfer of equipment from the University - Equipment purchased from sponsored project funds may be transferred to another institution of higher education with the approval of the researcher; the unit head; college dean; the Vice Chancellor for Research (UIC only); the OBFS, Grants and Contracts Office; the OBFS, University Property Accounting and Reporting; and the Department of Central Management Services when:
- The equipment was used at the University for sponsored research.
- The equipment was purchased with sponsored research funds.
- The funds were paid by the sponsor for the purpose of facilitating research by an identified principal investigator or faculty member employed by the University.
- The principal investigator's position is being terminated at the University of Illinois and that individual's research is to continue at another not-for-profit institution.
- The equipment is needed in the continuation of the individual's research.
- The other institution is willing to accept responsibility for the equipment.
- Data has been eliminated from electronic storage media in compliance with Section 12, Property Accounting: Remove Data from Electronic Devices, unless required for the sponsored research and approved by the unit head, the campus Grants and Contracts office, and the OBFS, University Property Accounting and Reporting.
Transfer of equipment purchased from private gift funds requires approval of the OBFS, University Property Accounting and Reporting.
University approvals must be documented by completion of a Request for Permission to Permanently Transfer Sponsored Project Equipment with Researcher (MS Word). Once campus signatures have been obtained, the form should be submitted to UPAR, who will pursue approval by the Department of Central Management Services’ after all University approvals have been obtained. For additional information on UIUC requirements, see Section 16.1.4, Equipment, Equipment Leases, and Expendable Supplies.
Transfer of equipment to the University - All movable equipment held under agreements with sponsoring agencies remains the property of the sponsoring agency until either the University is relieved of accountability in writing by the sponsor, or the equipment is transferred to the University under the following conditions:
- As part of the sponsor's agreement.
- At the request of the University and with the written approval of the sponsor.
Back to top
Last Updated: May 1, 2008