Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

Management of Residences Occupied by Non-Employees

Any exceptions must be approved in writing by the Vice President/Chief Financial Officer and Comptroller, or delegate.

Lease Agreements and Responsibility - All university-owned residences occupied by non-employees must have annual written lease agreements using a form approved by University Counsel. The campus unit managing the residence secures these agreements and ensures their compliance.

Maintenance and Repair - The campus unit managing the residence is responsible for major maintenance and repair costs. Damage caused by tenant is the tenant's responsibility. The university must give written permission by an authorized agent before a tenant can make repairs and improvements.

Rent - Rent paid by non-employees is equal to the fair market value determined by the Office of Real Estate Planning and Services. The campus unit managing the residence must evaluate the amount of the rent at least every three years. The campus unit responsible for managing these residences advertises and uses a standard university application form to fill vacancies. The managing campus unit must approve in writing any subleases.

Security Deposits - All rental properties require a security deposit of at least one month's rent. A security deposit is a personal expense and must be paid by the employee, using non-system funds.

Site Visits - The campus unit managing the property must conduct a site visit at least once a year to determine the condition of the property. The unit keeps a written record of the visits and records the findings.

Utilities - All tenants occupying university housing pay their own utility costs. Tenants also pay a surcharge developed by the managing unit if a septic system or well is involved. Residences should be individually metered if economically feasible.

First Published: March 2014 | Last Updated: April 2023 | Last Reviewed: April 2023

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback