Back to Top

TEM Frequently Asked Questions

Roles Within The System

Approval Process

System Functionality and Processes

Receipt Images

Roles Within The System

Q. What are the user profiles and corresponding responsibilities that can be given to employees during setup in the TEM System by the Unit Security Coordinator (USC)?

A. The roles within the System are General Users, Charge Code Reviewers, Alternate Charge Code Reviewers, and Power Users

  • General Users can request advances, employee travel reimbursements and employee miscellaneous reimbursements.
  • Charge Code Reviewers and Alternate Charge Code Reviewers review and approve the C-FOAPAL(s) for all TEM expense reports charging the 6-digit org code assigned to them. All organization codes within a unit must have a Primary Charge Code Reviewer and an Alternate Charge Code Reviewer established in TEM.
  • Power Users can perform the same functions as General Users and, in addition, may process payments to vendors and non-employees. Power Users are generally unit business personnel.

Q. What does a Manager approver do in TEM?

A. A Manager approver is responsible for reviewing and approving expense reports submitted by employees that report directly or indirectly to him/her. A Manager approver can be set up in TEM as a general user, a charge code reviewer, or a power user depending on his/her responsibilities within the unit. A Manager approver must be assigned for each individual employee at time of setup for appropriate workflow routing. Manager approvers must represent the appropriate reporting line of one level or above the employee assigned per University policy.

Q. Does the system allow for a delegate or proxy to create or review/approve expense reports on behalf of an employee?

A. Yes, this is one of the System's best features. Employees may designate a proxy to create expense reports on their behalf. Managers and Charge Code Reviewers may designate a Proxy to Review/Approve expense reports on their behalf.

Q. Who can act as a Proxy? Can Grad Assistants and Research Assistants be a Proxy? Can Academic Hourly or Extra Help employees be a Proxy?

A. Anyone who has been given System access to TEM can be set up as a Proxy.

Q. Whom/what is the role of "Special Groups Reviewer - Review for Compliance" as referred to on The TEM Resource Page?

A. This is not a general use group in TEM. It was created specifically for the UIUC Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and UIC Athletics to provide an additional stop in the workflow for their respective NCAA compliance Auditors. Unless another unit uses DIA/Athletics C-FOP for one of their student athletes, this group would not be involved.

Q. Can a Charge Code Reviewer role and Approver role be the same person?

A. A person can be a Charge Code Reviewer and a Manager Approver, but there must still be two separate approvals. In such cases, the document would route to the alternate Charge Code Reviewer after Manager Approval.

Q. Can a Charge Code Reviewer role, that is also the Manager Approver role, approve a transaction in one action?

A. No. The document would route to the alternate Charge Code Approver after Manager Approval, except in cases where the primary Charge Code Reviewer submits a reimbursement request and the alternate Charge Code Reviewer is also the Primary Charge Code Reviewer's manager.

Q. What roles in the TEM System can change a C-FOP during the approval process?

A. A C-FOP cannot be changed during the approval process. Approvers would need to reject the document and request that it be changed by the document owner.

Approval Process

Q. If an employee works 50% for another unit, should only one of the units add the employee in TEM? Will the Approver for these individuals be in only one of the two units?

A. Correct. Every employee is assigned a Manager in TEM and should be the person to whom the employee primarily reports. This Manager will Review/Approve that designated employee's reimbursements; however, the C-FOPAL will be approved by the Charge Code Reviewer for the Org that is being charged.

Q. If an individual works part-time for another unit and travels on behalf of our college, will the reimbursement be routed through the other department? If the C-FOP is in my college, will the document be routed to me for approval?

A. If you are the Charge Code Reviewer for the Org code, you will have an opportunity to Review/Approve the expense along with that employee's Manager. For example, if there are four Org codes funding a given expense report, the maximum Review/Approval stops would be five (i.e., four different charge code reviewers and the employee's manager).

Q. Is the approval process based on the name identified for the individual submitted by the USC or is it based on the Org code?

A. The Manager Approver is the individual submitted by the USC at the time approval routing was set up in TEM. The Charge Code Reviewers are based on the Org codes of the funds expensed.

Q. As an Approver, can I have a Proxy approve on my behalf when I am not available?

A. Both the Manager Approver and Charge Code Reviewer can designate any number of Reviewer Proxies.

System Functionality and Processes

Q. When you select the Expense type and C-FOP, does the account code auto populate?

A. The expense type automatically populates the appropriate account code for travel expense reports; however, account codes must be selected by the unit for payments to vendors.

Q. How do you obtain the vendor information when submitting miscellaneous invoice payments? Is there a link or drop-down list to take you to Banner?

A. There is no verification of Banner vendor information in the TEM System. You must verify the vendor information in Banner and type in the Banner Vendor Number, Address Type, and Sequence Number into the TEM transaction.

Q. Is there a way to organize the expense reports into individual folders for each employee within a department?

A. No, there is no file management functionality in the TEM System.

Q. Will all of the appropriate forms for reimbursing foreign nationals be available through the TEM System? Can you pay foreign nationals through this System?

A. Reimbursements to foreign nationals are initiated in TEM by selecting the Purpose of "Foreign National Reimbursement." The document will route to Payroll for approval. Other payments to foreign nationals, such as honorariums, must be initiated with Payroll, not TEM.

Q. Will vendor payments involving an encumbrance be liquidated if processed in TEM?

A. No, encumbrances cannot be liquidated through TEM. If a payment request involving an encumbrance is routed through TEM, the unit will need to manually relieve the encumbrance in Banner using a JV.

Q. Are there any transactions that cannot, or should not, be done in the TEM System?

A. Wire transfer payment requests and the liquidation of encumbrance payments cannot be processed through TEM.

Receipt Images

Q. In the Review queue, where do we look at invoices and receipts attached to a transaction?

A. Open the ER, hover over the Receipts button in the upper left corner then click on the View Receipts icon (hand holding a piece of paper).

Q. In the Review queue, why am I unable to see multiple receipt attachments?

A. You are not using a browser compatible with TEM.

Q. For a given transaction, should all receipts be imaged into one file?

A. Receipts can be attached as one file or multiple files. Small receipts can be taped to a single page.

Q. Why do units have to retain original receipts?

A. The State now recognizes scanned images as original, so UPAY does not need the receipts. UPAY requests units keep the receipts for one year to ensure that the quality of the scanned images is acceptable. 

Last Updated: February 14, 2022

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback