Request Reimbursement for Employee Moving Expenses
Before You Begin
New or transferred full-time members of the faculty, administrative, or professional staff may be reimbursed for moving expenses under $7,500 with the advance, written approval of the dean, director, or delegate. For amounts over $7,500, the approval must be obtained from the dean or delegate. For University of Illinois System Offices units, the Chief Financial Officer, vice president, or delegate must approve reimbursement for new or transferred employees.
The $7,500 amount includes travel, moving, and temporary living expenses, but does not include the cost of moving professional books, articles, and equipment (scientific, music, etc). These are not subject to the $7,500 limit.
To request reimbursement for employee moving expenses:
- Log in to TEM (Travel and Expense Management System). In the Create New area, select the Expense Report icon. Consult the job aid for System Navigation if you need help identifying the icon.
- In the Document Header screen, select "Employee Misc Expense Reimbursement" from the drop-down list in the Purpose field.
- Charge reimbursable moving costs either to your regular operating budget or to other funds available for operating purposes. Reimbursement from federal funds must follow current federal regulations. Consult your campus Grants and Contracts office for clarification.
- Proceed through the screens. Consult the Create an Expense Report (ER) job aid for step-by-step instructions, including how to submit documentation.
- University Payables (UPAY) reviews the request and processes for payment.
Last Updated: January 9, 2017 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012