Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

8.2.5 Request Non-Employee Reimbursement

Policy Statement

Non-employees who incur travel and business-related expenses on behalf of the University of Illinois System when supporting the system's mission of teaching, research, and public service may be reimbursed in accordance with IRS-accountable plan rules. Non-employees are not reimbursed unless they are providing a service or their presence is required at a system event. The system will pay these expenses if the business purpose of the activity or event and the contribution of the non-employee are fully documented. That documentation must include how the dominant purpose of the event served the system's business needs and how the non-employee spent a substantial amount of time assisting that business purpose.

The expense must be approved by the unit head or delegate before it is incurred. Instruct the payee to keep receipts for all expenses. Even though the payee is not a system employee, to achieve proper accounting standards, the reimbursement should still be submitted within 60 days.

Except for small purchases reimbursed through petty cash as approved by your unit petty cash custodian, non-employees must be reimbursed through University Payables.

Reimbursement for Spouse, Dependent or Guest of the President and Chancellors - The President and chancellors often perform official duties in such areas as development, and alumni and governmental relations that may require the presence of their spouses. This includes events when the spouses of the system's guests will be present.


To request non-employee reimbursement:

  1. Determine whether the payee has a Banner vendor number. For step-by-step instructions, consult the Banner Vendor ID and Address Query job aid.
  2. Log in to TEM (Travel and Expense Management System). In the Create New area, select the Expense Report icon. Consult the job aid for System Navigation if you need help identifying the icon.

    If the payee has a Banner vendor number, in the Document Header screen, select "Misc Vendor-Payment for Goods" or ”Misc Payment–Vendors, Non-Employees, and Students”  from the drop-down list in the Purpose field.

    If the payee does not have a Banner vendor number, in the Document Header screen, select "Temp Vendor Payments" from the drop-down list in the Purpose field.
  3. Proceed through the screens. Consult the Miscellaneous or One-Time Vendor Payments job aid for step-by-step instructions, including how to submit the receipts.
  4. University Payables (UPAY) reviews the request and processes for payment.

19 Contracts

TEM Resource Page
IRS Accountable Plan Rules in Definitions
Job aid for Banner Vendor ID and Address Query
Job aid for System Navigation
Job aid for Miscellaneous or One-Time Vendor Payments
University Payables Training Materials
IRS Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses

Last Updated: January 2, 2020 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback