Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

8.6.11 Refund Money to a Payee

Policy Statement

You may need to refund money to a payee under such circumstances as:

  • Cancellation of a pre-paid event or service
  • Overpayment of a bill

If a credit or debit card was used for payment, consult 21.1.5 Refund a Transaction.


To refund money to a payee:

If there are more than 50 refunds, consult 8.8.5 Submit 50 or More Payment Requests.
  1. Determine how many refunds you need to make.
  2. Log in to TEM (Travel and Expense Management System). In the Create New area, select the Expense Report icon. Consult the job aid for System Navigation if you need help identifying the icon.
  3. In the Document Header screen, select "Temp Vendor Payments" from the drop-down list in the Purpose field.
  4. Proceed through the screens. For step-by-step instructions, including how to submit any supporting documentation, consult the Miscellaneous or One-Time Vendor Payments job aid.
  5. University Payables (UPAY) reviews the request and processes for payment.

21.1.5 Refund a Transaction
8.8.5 Submit 50 or More Payment Requests
19 Contracts

TEM Resource Page
Job aid for System Navigation
Job aid for Miscellaneous or One-Time Vendor Payments
University Payables Training Materials

Last Updated: March 19, 2013 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback