Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

20.2.7 Process Cardholder Separation from the University

Policy Statement

All i-card holders must turn in their i-cards when they leave the University of Illinois System.


To process cardholder separation from the system:


Students must turn in i-cards at their university ID Center. If a separating student turns a card into your unit, you may accept it and either destroy it or send it to your university ID Center for destruction.

Separating students who are still entitled to services, such as recreation membership or student health services, must obtain a visitor card.

Urbana-Champaign: graduating students may keep their i-cards as souvenirs. However, i-cards remain the property of the system.

Employees and Other i-card Holders

Collect the individual's card before they leave the system. Your unit may destroy the card or send it to your university ID Center for destruction. At Springfield, separating cardholders must stop by the university ID Center to turn in their own cards.

Depending on the circumstances of their system employment, retirees may be eligible for a retiree i-card.


Visitors are not required to turn in their ID cards, because their visiting status can fluctuate.

Additional Resources

Card terms and conditions

Last Updated: September 16, 2019 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: January 2002

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback