Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

15.4.5 Determine When to Use Commercially Insured University Motor Pool Vehicles

Policy Statement

The University of Illinois System may consider certain uses of its motor vehicles as appropriate that the State of Illinois Self-Insured Motor Vehicle Liability Plan does not and for which it denies liability coverage. Therefore, the system insures a limited number of vehicles at each university motor pool with a commercial insurance policy.

If you are uncertain whether your activity is covered by the State Plan, use a commercially-insured motor vehicle from your university motor pool. Do not use any vehicle for a system activity without liability insurance.

All University policies and procedures are still applicable with regard to who is authorized to drive system motor vehicles, as well as the prohibition regarding personal use.


To determine when to use commercially insured system motor pool vehicles:

  1. Determine whether your event or activity fits into one of these categories not covered by the State Plan:
    • Intramural sports, including travel to or from a scheduled event or activity
    • Campus recreation outdoor programs, including travel to or from the planned event/activity
    • University High School summer educational trips, including travel to or from the planned event/activity
    • Family housing programs
    • Graduate community educational programs
    • Children's pre-school and after school planned educational activities or field trips
    • System-sponsored academic, music, and sports camps, but only for activities and events directly related to the camp. When transporting children through high school age, the range of travel is limited to Urbana, Champaign, and Savoy and visits to or from Allerton Park.
    • Visits to or from Allerton Park in conjunction with a system event or program
    • Department-authorized use by a Registered Student Organization, upon written approval by the Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance or Chancellors' designee
    If your event or activity fits into one of these categories, you must use a motor pool vehicle that is commercially insured.
  2. Plan ahead. Each university has a limited number of commercially insured vehicles.
  3. Contact your university motor pool (Urbana, Springfield), or Campus Auto Rental Service (Chicago). Tell them you need to reserve a commercially insured vehicle. If no commercially insured vehicles are available and you engage in one of the activities in Step #1 and you have an accident, the vehicle has no liability coverage and you may have to pay if any claims are made.

Related Policies and Procedures

15.3.1 Report an Accident Involving a University Vehicle
15.4.2 Become Eligible to Drive a University Motor Vehicle
15.4.4 Determine Approved Use of Department and Motor Pool Vehicles

Additional Resources

15.3 Report an Accident - How Your Personal Insurance Becomes Involved in a Claim
Urbana Car Pool
Chicago Campus Auto Rental Service
Springfield Facilities and Services

Last Updated: January 3, 2019 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback