Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

15.1.1 Cash Advances for Travel

Policy Statement

Cash advances for travel are provided only for expenses that cannot be charged on a University Travel Card (T-Card) and may only be used for travel expenses. A cash advance for travel must be promptly accounted for and/or repaid upon completion of the travel.

Reason for the Policy

To issue a cash advances for travel expenses that cannot be charged on a T-Card.

Applicability of the Policy

Whenever a cash advance is requested for travel expenses that cannot be charged on a T-Card.


Refer to 8.3 Cash Advances for guidance that is universally applicable to all types of cash advances.

Cash Advances for Travel may be used for:

  • Student group travel and should include only student expenses. Any employee who travels with a student group should process his/her own expenses in accordance with 15 Travel
  • Travel cash advances for employees may only be used when no other method of payment (e.g. T-Card) is practical.

Cash advances for travel may only be issued to employees, including student employees, for domestic travel of 7 or more consecutive days, or international travel, when detailed information on how the cash advance will be spent is provided.

Only one cash advance for travel can be given at a time to the same employee.

Cash advances for travel are only issued seven days prior to travel. Cash advances for travel will not be issued to an employee who has not fully accounted for an earlier advance, except when the individual must leave for another trip within the seven days following their return from the earlier travel.

Cash advances for travel cannot be replenished. Cash advances for travel must be accounted for, and/or repaid promptly upon completion of the travel, must be within 15 days.

Allow 72 hours for processing this request.

Related Policies and Procedures

8.3 Cash Advances
14.4 Manage Foreign Bank Accounts
19 Contracts

Additional Resources

Chrome River Resource Page
Business Travel
Job aid for System Navigation
Job aid for Open and Close a Travel Advance
University Payables Training Materials
Clery Act Reporting Requirements
   University of Illinois at Chicago: Clery Compliance
   University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Clery Act (Policy Number : FO-21)
   University of Illinois at Springfield: UIS Police - Jeanne Clery Act

Last Updated: February 14, 2022 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback