Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

15.1.2 Close a Travel Advance

Policy Statement

Travel advances must be promptly accounted for and/or repaid upon completion of the travel. Travel advances not closed within 60 days of travel may be reported as taxable income in accordance with IRS regulations. Travel advances not closed within 90 days may be deducted from the employee's wages.


To close a travel advance:

If there is CASH OR CHECKS to be returned

  1. Return the cash or check along with the Report of Money Received form to your campus University Bursar. Keep the deposit receipt to submit in TEM (Travel and Expense Management System). Do not send cash or checks directly to University Payables (UPAY).
  2. Log in to TEM. In the Create New area, select the Expense Report icon. Consult the job aid for System Navigation if you need help identifying the icon.
  3. Travel advances should be closed using the purpose “Employee Travel/Meal Reimbursements and T-card Charges”. Proceed through the screens. For step-by-step instructions, consult "After the Travel" in the Open and Close a Travel Advance job aid.
  4. UPAY reviews the expense report to ensure the funds were spent in accordance with University of Illinois System policy.
If there is NO CASH to be returned
Follow the above steps #2 through #4.

Related Policies and Procedures

15.1.1 Open a Travel Advance
19 Contracts

Additional Resources

TEM Resource Page
Business Travel
Job aid for System Navigation
Job aid for Open and Close a Travel Advance
University Payables Training Materials
University Bursar office locations and hours:

Last Updated: March 17, 2020 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: September 2012

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback