Affix Property Labels
Before You Begin
The University complies with the Illinois State Property Control Act (30 ILCS 605) which requires all University-owned property to display ownership information (state, sponsor, or individual). PTag numbers are assigned by University Property Accounting and Reporting (UPAR). All property $100 and over in value that belongs to the University must have a "University of Illinois, State of Illinois" label on it.
Affix a PTag number label for:
- Any item purchased after July 1, 2005, that is valued at $500 or more
- Any item purchased before July 1, 2005, that is valued at $2,500 or more
- All art and firearms regardless of value
Affix an unnumbered "State of Illinois" label:
- Any item purchased after July 1, 2005 that is valued at $100 or more
- Any item purchased before July 1, 2005 that is valued at less than $2,500
Owners of personal property should clearly identify it as such. Do not assign a University PTag number to personal property brought onto University premises.
To affix property labels to University property:
Affix the labels to equipment so the text remains legible without defacing the equipment. Label placement may vary depending on the type of equipment and its use. Follow the general guidelines below. Place the label:
- On a permanent part of the equipment. Each major component of valuable scientific or technical apparatus must carry the PTag number label.
- Where it receives the least damage and wear, yet is easily seen.
- Whenever possible, on the lower right hand corner.
Do not place the label:
- On ornamentation, cornices, or curved surfaces of molding or in any manner that adversely affects the aesthetic appearance of the equipment.
- Where it interferes with the free use or repair of the equipment.
If wear, chemicals, sterilization, heat, or other processes could deface the label or the label would interfere with the use of the equipment, use an alternative method such as stencils, contrasting paints, electric markers, stamping, etc.
If labeling or marking is impossible, retain photographs of the object with any unique identifying information (serial number, measurements, maker's mark, etc.) in a secure location with the PTag number label.
If a sponsor has retained title to the equipment, or the equipment is on loan to the University from outside agencies, contact your campus Grants and Contracts Office. They will give you numbered property control labels designed for use with equipment that is not owned by the University or the State. Use the steps above to affix them to the property.
If the title is transferred from another institution or sponsoring agency, the Grants and Contracts Office will tell you to remove or obliterate the labels of the previous owner and affix new ones.
Last Updated: June 1, 2011 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: June 2011