Back to Top
Business and Financial Policies and Procedures

What to do if...

What to do if a Petty Cash or Change Fund. . .

Is lost
If the fund custodian failed to safeguard the fund or allowed it to be improperly used, the custodian must repay the money. If the loss was beyond the custodian's control, it is repaid from the unit's budget or other available operating funds. If you believe the funds were stolen, contact your campus police and University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations (USFSCO) Cashier Office immediately. Consult Insurance FAQs #9 for information about crime insurance.

Is inactive because you have not been using it
Because there are security risks with retaining a fund that is not being used, close the fund. 10.5.8 Close a Petty Cash Fund 10.6.6 Close a Change Fund

Is no longer needed for its original purpose
Close this fund and request a new one specifically for your new purpose.

Is for a larger amount than you need
Reduce the amount of the fund by returning the excess to your campus USFSCO Cashier Office.

Has an overage
Deposit overages with your campus USFSCO Cashier Office. Credit overages to the appropriate unit fund on a Report of Cash Receipts form.

Has a shortage
Report any significant shortage or theft to USFSCO as soon as you discover the shortage. If the loss appears to be due to theft or fraud, notify your campus police and the Office of University Audits. Any shortage should come out of the unit’s deposit or the appropriate unit fund.

You receive funds that are a gift

Consult 11.3 Campus Processing of Gifts

You think currency might be counterfeit

See Handle Counterfeit Currency

Last Updated: January 2, 2018 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance | Effective: February 2008

Give us feedback about this page Submit Feedback