Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance
The health insurance coverage offered to faculty and staff through the State of IL does not include coverage for medical assistance and repatriation of remains for employees traveling abroad. To bridge this gap, the University Office of Risk Management arranged for Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide coverage for non-study abroad related activities. CISI also provides the student insurance coverage for the Study Abroad program.
The Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance can be purchased through the OBFS Travel Management Office.
Phone: 217-244-TRVL (8785)
Toll free: 888-871-2835
Below is an outline of MERI coverage for Faculty and Staff:
- $250,000 limit for emergency medical assistance and evacuation, $100,000 limit for repatriation of remains and $10,000 limit for Emergency Medical Reunion. The evacuation/repatriation part of the plan is for medical reasons only. Non-medical evacuations due to political unrest or the threat of something happening are not covered. *
- The plan is valid for worldwide travel outside the U.S. While not advised, there are currently no restrictions for travel to countries with State Department Travel Warnings.
- Individual coverage is valid for one year beginning on the departure date of the first trip abroad. There is no limit to the number of trips covered within the year provided each trip is less than 90 days. **
- $60 annual cost to the department unit for each insured.
- The U.S. is considered the “Home” country for all insured.
- Faculty/Staff Medical Evacuation Plan for FY 2012-2013 .
*Medical Assistance Services include: medical referrals; medical monitoring; prescription drug replacement/shipment; emergency message transmittal; coverage verification/payment assistance for medical expenses.
**In order to obtain medical evacuation/repatriation for longer trips or sabbaticals, a comprehensive travel plan would need to be purchased. This would cover both accident and sickness medical expenses as well as medical evacuation/repatriation. CareMed (sister company to CISI) offers two comprehensive travel plans.
Last Updated: August 6, 2012