University employees have three Travel Assistance Plans to choose from when traveling. Benefits-eligible employees qualify for the plans offered by Minnesota Life and The Hartford. Employees who are not benefits-eligible may enroll in the plan offered by OBFS.
Minnesota Life offers travel assistance through Global Rescue LLC
All active U.S. employees who have the free basic life insurance through the State Employees Group Insurance Program administered by the State of Illinois Department of Central Management Services automatically have Travel Assistance coverage provided by Global Rescue LLC. Global Rescue provides basic emergency travel assistance services, transport services, and pre-trip resources to eligible employees and their dependents for national or international travel. There is no cost for the coverage.
For more information see Global Rescue LLC .
The Hartford offers travel assistance through Europ Assistance USA
Europ Assistance USA provides toll-free emergency assistance to employees and their dependents with pre-trip information, emergency medical assistance, identity theft protection, and emergency personal services for national or international travel.
To enroll, please see The Hartford .
For further information on either of the options listed above, please contact your campus UPB Benefits Services office.
If you do not qualify for the options listed above then Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) will provide Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance (MERI) for employees traveling for non-study abroad related activities. CISI also provides the student insurance coverage for the Study Abroad program .
The MERI coverage for non-study abroad related travel can be purchased through University Payables.
Toll free: 888-871-2835
Below is an outline of MERI coverage for Faculty and Staff:
- $250,000 limit for emergency medical assistance and evacuation, $100,000 limit for repatriation of remains and $10,000 limit for Emergency Medical Reunion. The evacuation/repatriation part of the plan is for medical reasons only. *
- $100,000 for Comprehensive Security Evacuation for specific Occurrences for employees enrolling on or after August 1, 2013.
- Valid for worldwide travel outside the U.S. While not advised, there are currently no restrictions for travel to countries with State Department Travel Warnings.
- Individual coverage is valid for one year beginning on the departure date of the first trip abroad. There is no limit to the number of trips covered within the year provided each trip is less than 90 days. **
- $70 annual cost to the department unit for each insured.
- The U.S. is considered the “Home” country for all insured.
- Faculty/Staff Medical Evacuation Plan for FY 2013-2014 .
*Medical Assistance Services include: medical referrals; medical monitoring; prescription drug replacement/shipment; emergency message transmittal; coverage verification/payment assistance for medical expenses.
**In order to obtain medical evacuation/repatriation for longer trips or sabbaticals, a comprehensive travel plan would need to be purchased. This would cover both accident and sickness medical expenses as well as medical evacuation/repatriation. CareMed (sister company to CISI) offers two comprehensive travel plans.
Last Updated: August 1, 2013