Rent a University Motor Pool Vehicle
Before You Begin
Campus motor pools (Urbana-Car Pool, Chicago-Transportation Facility, Springfield-Motor Pool) are the custodians of University vehicles for daily or short-term rental or long-term use. Passenger vehicles may be assigned to an employee for a specific trip, or to a campus unit on a long-term or permanent basis. Units are charged by mileage and/or time for use of the vehicle. The rate charged is based on the actual operating, maintenance, and depreciation costs incurred by the campus motor pool.
To rent a University motor pool vehicle:
- Obtain permission from your unit head. Confirm funding is available because there is a charge for renting a University motor pool vehicle.
- Consult Become Eligible to Drive a University Motor Vehicle to ensure you are an eligible driver. If you are not eligible you will be denied use of the vehicle.
- Complete and submit a Car Release Order form to request a vehicle. Have any alternate driver complete and submit the Car Release Order – Alternate Drivers form.
- Pick up the vehicle at your campus motor pool. Take your driver’s license. Any alternate driver must accompany you and present a valid driver’s license.
- Once you are using the car, if you need to extend the rental period, obtain approval from your unit. The unit must notify your campus motor pool to request the approved extension.
- Return the vehicle at the time and place specified on the Car Release Order form.
If you keep the vehicle longer than the initial rental period and do not notify your campus motor pool, you may be subject to an additional charge. Unauthorized extensions may be considered theft.
Last Updated: January 22, 2013 | Approved: Senior Associate Vice President for Business and Finance - September 2012